The cost of a Locksmith can vary depending on the type of service you need, the location of the locksmith, and the time of day. In general, locksmiths charge an hourly rate, plus the cost of any materials they need to use. The average hourly rate for a locksmith will vary between £50.00 to £100.00, in addition some Locksmiths will also need to charge VAT currently rated at 20% of total price. Be very careful of national call centre companies quoting a flat rate of £49.00 as the end price will inevitably be far greater than that.
Locksmith services examples
Here are some examples of the cost of common locksmith services:
- Lockout: The cost of a lockout service will vary depending on the time of day and the location. In general, gaining entry services cost between £75.00 and £200.00. Also be aware that most gain entry situations can be effected without causing any damage to the lock, door or framework. Check with the Locksmith before hiring that they have the same view.
- Lock change: The cost of a lock change will vary depending on the type of lock and the number of locks that need to be changed. Is it a new fit or replacement of an existing lock? In general, lock changes cost between £25.00 and £75.00 per lock depending on lock type, Euro Cylinder or Mortice deadlock, plus the hourly rate.
It is important to get multiple quotes from different Locksmiths before hiring one. This will help you ensure that you are getting the best possible price.
Tips to find a good Locksmith
Here are some tips for finding a good Locksmith:
- Get multiple quotes. As mentioned above, it is important to get multiple quotes from different Locksmiths before hiring one. This will help you ensure that you are getting the best possible price.
- Check for accreditations, insurance and guarantees. This will protect you in case something goes wrong.
- Ask for references. Ask the Locksmith for references from previous customers. This will give you an idea of their work ethic and customer service. Check out their online reviews and/or get a recommendation from friends and relatives.
- Trust your gut. If you have a good feeling about a Locksmith, go with them. If you have any doubts, it is best to find someone else.